Paul Nga succeeds him as Director, Ministry in Schools and Director of TRAC Youth Ministries
THE Rev Dr Norman Wong has been appointed the new Executive Director of the Methodist Missions Society (MMS). His appointment took effect on Jan 1, and he will serve a three-year term ending Dec 31, 2008.
He succeeded the Rev Dr Clarence Lim, who retired last December as MMS Director after heading it for 10 years.
With his fresh appointment, the Rev Dr Wong has relinquished his positions as Director, Ministry in Schools and Director of TRAC Youth Ministries. He has been Director, Ministry in Schools since 1993.
He is succeeded in both positions by the Rev Paul Nga, who was, until the end of last year, the Pastor-in-Charge of Aldersgate Methodist Church.
The Rev Nga, who is also the Chairman of The DISCIPLE Agency, continues to serve in that capacity. The son of retired Elder, the Rev T. C. Nga, he is also the Trinity Annual Conference (TRAC) Secretary, a position he has held for the last 13 years.
A graduate of Trinity Theological College, he has pastored Toa Payoh Methodist Church and Christ Methodist Church. He is married to the Rev Nga Mee Hee, Pastor-in-Charge of Christalite Methodist Chapel. They have two children.
The Rev Dr Wong told Methodist Message: “The first thing I will do is to listen to what the MMS leadership and staff have to say. I hope to continue the good work begun by Dr Clarence Lim.”
He graduated with BA Honours from the London Bible College in 1977, and served with the Chinese Overseas Christian Mission in Scotland for seven years.
He returned to Singapore and served as a Lay Ministry Staff with Wesley Methodist Church in 1984. Since 1985 he has served as a Pastor at Bedok Methodist Church, Paya Lebar Methodist Church, Grace Methodist Church, Barker Road Methodist Church and Covenant Community Methodist Church. In 2002, he was appointed Director of TRAC Youth Ministries.
He is married to Dr Lana Khong Yiu Lan who lectures at the National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University. They have three children — Evan, aged 22, Leanne, 19, and Jonathan, 15.
Want to be a missionary? Contact MMS
THE Methodist Missions Society (MMS) has many opportunities for church members and friends to work as missionaries in several countries in the region.
In CAMBODIA, for example, there is a need for:
• A registered nurse to coordinate and supervise the healthcare programmes at COSI Orphanage, Emmaus Women’s Centre as well as our churches and staff in Cambodia.
• A qualified teacher or person with experience in education to serve as a principal of The Methodist School of Cambodia located at Toul Kork in Phnom Penh.
• A qualified English teacher to train Cambodian English teachers with their teaching and language skills as well as to develop a curriculum of English classes for the school and outreach ministry.
• An ordained pastor to mentor and to provide pastoral care, support
and leadership to the Cambodian pastors, ministry works and missionaries serving in Cambodia.
For CHINA, the MMS is looking for:
• A qualified English teacher to conduct and teach English classes and conduct English camps in Luoyuan.
• One qualified kindergarten teacher to supervise the Kindergarten Centre in Luoyuan.
• One youth worker to oversee the Student Centre and youth ministry in Luoyuan.
• One worker to oversee teaching and equipping ministry in Shanghai.
NEPAL: The MMS needs:
• A ministry staff to supervise the Sophia Girls’ Home in Kathmandu and to organise similar homes in other areas in Nepal.
• A ministry staff to teach and supervise the Caleb Bible Institute and equipping ministry for Nepali leaders and workers in East Nepal.
• A ministry staff to oversee church planting and outreach work.
• An Ordained Elder to serve as Mission Superintendent to provide pastoral care support, training and leadership in Thailand.
• A person with administrative skills to serve as Office Administrator of the Methodist Mettakij Church in Chiangmai.
• A couple to serve as managers of the Mettakij Home in Sansainoi.
• Three ministry workers to coordinate church planting and outreach work in Isaan, Central
Thailand and Bangkok metropolitan areas.
• A community development staff to oversee community development activities.
• One registered nurse to coordinate healthcare programme in northern Thailand.
• A person with administrative skills to oversee MMS projects in partnership with the People’s Committee of Ho Chi Minh City.
• One couple or two workers are needed to pioneer work in Laos.
• One couple or two workers are needed to pioneer work in Timor-Leste.
• A person to teach English to the youth.
• A person to teach Youth Development Skills.
For more information on these missionary opportunities, kindly contact the Field Director at 6478-4751 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or the Home Director at 6478-4807 or email email@example.com
Be in prayer with us as we seek God’s guidance to challenge and mobilise Methodists to serve with the MMS.